- Articles - 2012 Blog - S&P500 as a percentage of Total Stock Market (SPY vs VTSMX)
                Windsurfing at Palo Alto in SF Bay in May 2009
S&P500 as a percentage of Total Stock Market
S&P500 and Extended Market Weightings in Total Stock Market Funds
                Windsurfing at Coyote Point November 2009
FREE=> Investment Letter SAMPLE  <== FREE

Return to home page

April 3, 2012:   As of February 29, 2012 this is the breakdown by market capitalization for major benchmarks according to Vanguard's web site.  The graph below this table shows that the S&P500 currently makes up 80.9% of the total US stock market index. That means if you want to replicate the the total stock market index (VTI)  then you put 80.9% in VOO or SPY and the remaining 19.1% in VTI (or VFINX and VTSMX).

Benchmark Market Capitalization as of 02/29/2012
% Equity Large Capitalization % Equity Medium/Large Capitalization % Equity Medium Capitalization % Equity Medium/Small Capitalization % Equity Small Capitalization Funds
Russell 2000
0.00% 0.00% 0.00% 19.90% 80.10%
S&P 500
49.70% 30.50% 17.00% 2.80% 0.00% VFINX VFIAX
Dow Jones Wilshire 4500
10.10% 5.70% 20.40% 30.90% 32.90% VEXMX VEXAX
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Mkt
40.20% 25.10% 17.50% 9.70% 7.50% VTSMX VTSAX
Russell 1000
43.80% 27.50% 18.70% 9.00% 1.00%
Snapshot taken April 3, 2012:


Note 1.  Source: Source: Vanguard - Key Benchmark Statistics as of February 29, 2012
Note 2.  VOO is Vanguard's ETF for the S&P500 index.
Click for FREE sample of Kirk Lindstrom's
                    Investment Letter

TOP of Page

Home of "CORE & Explore®" investing.


Disclaimer:  The information contained in this seb site is not intended to constitute financial advice, and is not a recommendation or solicitation to buy, sell or hold any security. This blog is strictly informational and educational and is not to be construed as any kind of financial advice, investment advice or legal advice. Copyright © 2012 Kirk Lindstrom. Note: "CORE & Explore®" was coined by and is a registered trademark of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.