- Articles - 2013  - TIPS Core Yield and I-Bond Base Rates + TIP Charts
                Windsurfing at Palo Alto in SF Bay in May 2009
TIPS Spread, TIPS and I-Bond Base Rates
Historical Chart of TIPS Spread plus TIPS & Series I Bond Base Rates
                Windsurfing at Coyote Point November 2009

Newsletter:  Subscribe -   More Charts  

July 6, 2013:  This chart shows the TIPS Core Yield (Base Rates), Series I Bond base rates and "Expected Inflation implied by the TIPS Spread" for 10 and 30 year TIPS. 

Kirk's Newsletter Explore TIPS.  Two years ago I recommended my subscribers avoid gold (as it was making new highs) and instead purchase individual TIPS directly from the US Treasury.  I took some profits already but I still hold some.  With base rates for 10 and 20 years TIPS once again positive and climbing , I am starting to consider putting some of the money I took out as profits back in.  This table shows the TIPS I still hold as of today (7/6/13) in my explore portfolio.

TIPS Performance Table

Historical Chart of TIPS Spread plus TIPS & Series I Bond Base Rates

Two Years ago in "Global Inflation Pressure Rising: How to Profit" I recommended individual TIPS and Series I Bonds over gold as a "safe" way to profit from moderate to high inflation.
"Bottom line, gold and silver can continue to soar but they can also crash like they did after peaking after the Arab Oil Embargo of the 1970s. If you want a SAFE investment that will keep up with inflation, then individual TIPS and Series I Bonds are your tickets.
Positive Base Rates for TIPS:  Note that 10, 20 and 30-year TIPS now have positive base rates which means they pay a total return (yield) above inflation.  For example, if inflation is 2.0% then the 10-year TIPS will pay inflation plus the base rate or 2.0% plus 0.66% for a total of 2.66%.   

ETF = Exchange Traded Fund

Overview:  The iShares Barclays Treasury Inflation Protected Securities Bond Fund seeks results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the inflation-protected sector of the United States Treasury market as defined by the Barclays Capital U.S. Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) Index (Series-L).   

Note:  I do NOT have a recommendation to buy the TIP ETF.  Read my current newsletter (Subscribe ) to see what I recommend for inflation protection.
More TIP Charts

TOP of Page

Article: Beware of Annuities                   Article Index  
Click for FREE sample of Kirk Lindstrom's
                    Investment Letter

Note 1.  Source

Charts and current price quote for Crude Oil Prices

Home of "CORE & Explore®" investing.


Disclaimer:  The information contained in this seb site is not intended to constitute financial advice, and is not a recommendation or solicitation to buy, sell or hold any security. This blog is strictly informational and educational and is not to be construed as any kind of financial advice, investment advice or legal advice. Copyright © 2013 Kirk Lindstrom. Note: "CORE & Explore®" was coined by and is a registered trademark of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.